Thursday, July 30, 2015

MEDIA BIAS AND DISTORTION




MEDIA BIAS AND DISTORTION






     In my experience, newspaper editors are a big problem in the Elite Media. They have a tendency to assume they know everything and the World has to conform to their way of thinking, OR ELSE! If they get a letter on an inconvenient subject, they censor it. Well, actually they don’t say that, of course. They just don’t print it and it is always for a “good” reason like “we just did not have room!” That covers a multitude of sins! If they do print it, they edit out anything that irritates them and print the balance; often times that will change a letter writer’s intent and meaning. The result is he may look stupid. Other times they will belittle a writer with little nit-picky stuff with the intent of marginalizing him. It is so common that it is seldom worthwhile to try to “compete” with them. Perhaps that is the biggest reason the Alternative Media is doing so well. With the coming of the internet, publishing is easier than ever without the huge expenses associated with print media and the freedom of expression (in most countries) is unlimited. There are those who would like to muzzle the internet and the Alternative Media, but so far they have not met with much success. In some countries certain thoughts are subject to prison terms. Truth is not accepted as a defense! That always raises the question of why the draconian measures? Or is it proof that truth is a dangerous thing?! Such speculation is, of course, completely justified. If something is true, why is there a need to punish the writer? Or does that really give a clue as to who runs the show?! Thought provoking questions that deserve some consideration!
     As a broadcaster I had a policy of NEVER writing letters to editors. Even after I left the business full-time I continued the practice. However, settling in a rural community gave me a chance to observe local editors at work. I found them to be the usual college-brainwashed clever boys who know what they are supposed to say and what they are not supposed to say. Heaven help a writer who opposes them. I noticed one smart upstanding businessman was always writing well-informed, thoughtful letters on inconvenient subjects and the editor did his best to marginalize him. I thought, what the heck, I will tease the editor a bit and see if he takes the bait! He did! My letter noted my background and how I had little use for biased editors, so I gave him fair warning that I knew his game. The arrogant clown proceeded to marginalize me with a bogus headline. I sent him a second letter which he not only printed, but he spread it across three columns in his paper as a PHOTOCOPY! I have never seen an editor do that before; it is a classic. Unfortunately, it does not reproduce well here, so I will just print the content of the letter. The material in it was just too hot for him to handle and he wanted nothing to do with it. But in all honesty, at least he displayed the whole thing word for word! Here (in bold type) is the text of his headline (completely different from the first one!) and the content of my letter:
Get facts straight before you print them in your rag.
 Dear Editor:
     Thanks for printing my recent comments and confirming their accuracy with the biased headline: IDAHO BIRTHER DISAPPROVES OF FACTS! Congratulations on a marvelous juvenile smear job! Who verified I am from “Idaho?” When it comes to “facts,” you are not as particular as claimed! Everyone needs a place to get mail. For me (town name deleted) is convenient. It does not make me an “Idahoan!”
      Did my “President Nobama” comment cause you to slip? I never actually mentioned his birth, but you brought it up! I questioned his legal qualifications: “Nobama” ignores his obligations as president and assumes an air of king or dictator, a conclusion I draw from his actions. Qualified Statesmen do not need Teleprompters, either. They are for commercial actors!
     Since alleged “birth certificates” for “President Teleprompter” is so important to you, it is fair to remember there were no computer generated certificates then. It was an era of paper documents, mimeograph machines, carbon-paper copies and data cards. Newspapers and books were offset printed; there were no computers or digital printing. Race classification was “Negro,” not “African American!” His “birth certificate” raised questions in the minds of us who were young adults at the time. Perhaps you were too young to remember, but not me. Yet you continue to smear and push an agenda. It’s a clever but sinister strategy: “you read your book of facts and I’ll read mine” as a broadcast executive once told me! What are you, a budding amateur (town name deleted) version of network “news prefabricator” Brian Williams? Facts are only what you say they are, dear Editor, nothing else.
     He still had to have the last word, noting someone had earlier sent in a news release about me teaching a class in language indicating where I was from (it was actually in error!) so he used that as a pretext for covering his butt! The whole affair was hilarious and caused quite a stir. No one, including him, was brave enough to challenge the letter’s content!

 Harald Hesstvedt Scharnhorst
           Copyright 2015












1 comment: